Upper Mustang Trek a fascinating trek on picturesque country located on Nepal Far North West close to Tibet, Dhaulagiri Himalaya range and to Dolpo region where it extends towards Kaligandaki joining the trail of famous and popular Annapurna Circuit route around Lower Mustang at Jomsom, the headquarter town of Mustang region. Upper Mustang trek can be done in the monsoon wet months of July and early September as the area falls within the rain shadow, where monsoon rain have less effect on this dry and arid country. Upper Mustang actually an extension of world largest and highest Tibetan plateau which connects at high Karo-La pass the frontier and border of Nepal and Tibet / China, the area lies on the famous old Trans-Himalayan Salt and Caravan Route of the two countries, where the trade still continues to this day, at present not by Yak caravan but with Trucks since the motorable road been constructed.
Whatever your interest and dreams are, Upper Mustang Trek still retains its exceptional beauty of huge deserts like terrain with views of snow clad mountains and its ancient culture and traditions still continues as it was for hundred of centuries. The people of Upper Mustang known as Mustang tribe or Lo with similar strong Tibetan custom and Buddhist religion along with ancient Bon practice of pre-Buddhism sect worshipping natural environment and mountain spirits. Our Upper Mustang Trek starts with a sweeping scenic flight from beautiful and popular touristic spot in Pokhara, blessed with natural beauty on the laps of Annapurna Himalaya. On reaching at Jomsom town heading off towards remote wilderness country covered by huge canyon and high eroded cliffs of varied colors red, brown and maroon with a tinge of velvet dotted with smaller caves, leading you to marvelous trekking experience within it lovely traditional villages with fields of buckwheat, barley, wheat and apple orchards.
Finally, our journey takes you into famous and former walled kingdom at Lo-Manthang here visit its old Gompas (monastery) tour of Namgyal Gompa and Tingkhar and at Tall Champa Lakhang, “God house” and the red Thugchen Gompa and Chyodi Gompa. Lo-Manthang also famous for Tilji festival which falls around April or May as per Buddhist Luna calendar, after a wonderful time on Upper Mustang trekking heading back towards Kaligandaki valley at Jomsom for a scenic flight back to Pokhara, where our fabulous and spectacular Upper Mustang Trekking concludes.
Arrival in Kathmandu 1,300 m / 4,264 ft and transfer to hotel.
On arrival at Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport, received by a representative of Remarkable Adventure Trek and then transfer you to your hotel around Thamel areas in the hub of the Kathmandu city. At the hotel, our guide and staff will provide information on dos and don’ts brief you with your programs on sightseeing and trekking with welcome dinner in an authentic Nepalese restaurant with folk culture program.
In Kathmandu with sightseeing tour and tour preparation.
After breakfast, leave the hotel for a sightseeing tour around famous historical places of Kathmandu guided by Remarkable Adventure Trek City guide. Morning visit of following places starting with Kathmandu Durbar Square a UNESCO World Heritage Site of Nepal, where most of the buildings that you see dated from 15th to 18th Century. Main interesting is to witness “Kumari (The Living Goddess) Gar” “Kastha Mandap” Shiva ParvatiMaru Ganesh, MahShiva-ParvatiTemple, Bhagwati Temple, Old Palace, Saraswoti Temple, Krishna Octangular Temple, Big Drums, Kal Bhairav, Jagannath Temple, and Taleju Temple. Tour of Pashupatinath Temple, one of the main temples of the Hindu listed as world heritage site, situated on the bank of Bagmati River. Only Hindus are allowed inside the main temple premises, while others can view from the bank of Bagmati River, observe pilgrims and devotees worshipping and praying the temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. Tour of Bouddhanath, one of the holiest Buddhist sites of Nepal and has four pairs of eyes. Each represents eyes of Lord Buddha. Observe people from all religions going around this stupa and spinning prayer wheels, after an enjoyable and interesting tour back to hotel for dinner and trek preparation to Upper Mustang.
Drive to Pokhara 910 m / 2,989 ft -06 hrs of 220 k.m. distance.
Morning travel by overland with an exciting drive on main Kathmandu to Pokhara highway, leading through Himalayan foothills, on reaching Pokhara transfer to respective hotels by the beautiful Phewa Lake with the afternoon free for short walks. (Options by Air 30 minutes scenic flight to Pokhara).
Fly to Jomsom and trek to Kagbeni 2,858 m / 9,376 ft -04 hrs.
After breakfast, head off to Pokhara airport for Jomsom flight, after a pleasant overnight in Pokhara, the short scenic flight takes you to Jomsom with close views of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri range of mountains as the flight touches at Jomsom airport located on the shelf of Kali-Gandaki River. Jomsom, headquarter town of Mustang district, after Jomsom first day trek begins on Kali-Gandaki River valley around a windswept country, few hours of a good walk with great views of Mt. Dhaulagiri, Nilgiris brings you at Kagbeni village. A nice village of Tibetan style located on the start and ending point of Upper Mustang area and to Forbidden City of Lo Manthang, on an old Himalayan Caravan trade route of Nepal and Tibet.
Trek to Chele 3,050 m / 10,006 ft - 06 hrs.
After checking permit for Upper Mustang entry, we head off to the riverbank of the Kaligandaki River, walking across picturesque country. Afternoon can be very windy as the path leads up and down to reach at Tangbe village, filled with fields of buckwheat, barley, and wheat including apple orchards, and walk slowly to Chhusang after crossing a small ridges to reach our overnight stop at Chele often spelled as Tsele also.
Trek to Syanbochen 3,475 m /11,400 ft - 06 hrs.
Today, walk leads to a climb up at Taklam La Pass of about 3,860 m high with breathtaking views of Tilicho Peak, Yakawa Kang and Damodar Danda and its peaks. Then, walk leads to a long descend to reach at Samar village and beyond further to Syanbochen for overnight stop with time to visit a famous Ramchung Cave used for meditation and retreats by monks and high priests in early days.
Trek to Ghaymi 3,520 m /11,548 ft - 06 hrs.
The morning starts with uphill past few tea shops, chhorten (prayer monuments), and local villages strongly influenced and similar to Tibetan Buddhist religion and culture, and then walk through the fields of barley. After walking past several farm lands and scattered villages and then a short climb and descend towards our overnight stop at Ghaymi, third largest village of Upper Mustang and Lo region, which is surrounded by a large arid and windswept barren field.
Trek to Charang 3,500 m /11,482ft -05 hrs.
Morning with time visit to its old monastery with Buddhist and Mani prayer wheels propelled with water power, after monastery tour of Ghami village and then cross Ghaymi Khola (stream) walk leads following a long and interesting line of Mani walls (holy prayer stone) from here walk to Dhakmar village, after hours of pleasant walk reaching at Charang or Tsarang village surrounded by large fields of crops buck wheat’s with overnight stop and visit of Charang old monastery.
Trek to Lo-Mangthang 3,700 m /12,139 ft -05 hrs.
Today a moderate walk to Lo -Manthang of few hours trek to reach our main destination of this great adventure and enter the fort and wall former kingdom of Lo-Manthang. At one time stood as a forbidden kingdom after monarchy rule ended in Nepal few past decade, on the walk coming across several chhorten and mani stones, between Charang and on Lo Manthang trail with grand views of arid landscapes in the shade of Nilgiri, Tilicho and Bhirkuti peaks. Walk leads to Lo La pass at 3,950 meters with views of Lo Manthang the walled city and then descend reaching a nice trail to Lo Manthang for two night stops.
Explore Lo-Mangthang overnight at guest house.
Today, free day to explore the areas around Lo-Manthang visit Namgyal Gompa and Tingkhar. Namgyal Gompa, situated on a hilltop, and which is an important monastery of this region. Then, we head off to Tingkhar. We also have the option of visiting Tall Champa Lakhang, which is a four- storied building.
Trek to Drakmar 3,810 m / 12, 500 ft - 06 hrs.
After an interesting time in Lo-Manthang morning walk starts on the same route back to Marang village, and then walk west using an old path to Dhakmar village for overnight stop. As the walk lead across Gyakar with an old Ghar Gompa houses Guru Rinpoche (Pdmasamava) as the primary figure. The Gompa famous for its rock paintings, according to the legend, anyone who makes a wish at Ghar Gompa, will be fulfilled.
Trek to Ghiling 3,806m /12, 486 ft - 06 hrs.
Today, we trek to Ghiling and explore it in the afternoon, morning walk back to Chhuksang, within wonderful scenery of the Himalayas. From Dhakmar village, morning walk heads on the same route with long series of Mani Walls, and then cross a bridge over Ghami Khola to reach at Ghami village for overnight, time permitting visit Ghiling monastery.
Trek to Chhusang 3,052 m / 1,010 ft -06 hrs.
Slowly this fascinating walk comes to an end after a short climb to Syangboche village, and to Yamda La with grand views, then downhill to Bhena and Samar villages continue walk on wide windswept valley to reach a stream on passing Gyakar and Chele villages and finally ending this nice walk at Chusang village for overnight stop at Upper Mustang area.
Trek to Jomsom 2,700 m / 8,858 ft - 06 hrs.
From Chhusang our last day trek of this fabulous journey leads on easier as the trail descend to Kaligandaki river valley to reach Jomsom, headquarter town of Mustang region with a small airstrip above Kaligandaki River, an interesting country walking on Kaligandaki River valley within the dry and arid country with incredible views of windblown hills and canyons. A pleasant walk of few hours brings you to a large town in Jomsom the capital of Thakali people of Tibetan Buddhism sects. This Kaligandaki area famous for delicious apples and its products, here celebrate with local apple products cider, brandy, and juices. Kaligandaki area is also famously known as Apple Pie Trail.
Flight to Pokhara 22 min with sightseeing around Pokhara valley
Our last day of the journey around Jomsom and Upper Mustang Trekking concludes with a short scenic flight to Pokhara a beautiful touristic city, overnight in Pokhara by the serene Phewa Lake, where Annapurna Himal reflects on its pristine calm waters. (Driving options which is about 6-7 hours via Beni town to Pokhara city from Jomsom)
From Pokhara drive to Kathmandu 1,345 m - 06hrs.
After a wonderful time up in the high mountains and hills, taking a morning driving journey back to Kathmandu, on reaching at Kathmandu after 5-6 hours of nice interesting drive and then transfer to your respective hotels with an afternoon free for individual activities and shopping souvenirs. (Options by air 30 minutes flight back to Kathmandu with great views)
International departure for homeward bound.
Your last day in amazing Nepal country of Himalayan wonders, as per your flight time transfer for your international flight with the fond memory and excellent time on Upper Mustang Trekking with great service of Remarkable Adventure.
Cost Information1. What's Includes
- Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & drop by private tourist vehicle.
- Standard twin sharing accommodation in a three-star hotel in Kathmandu; Breakfast included.
- Guided city tour in Kathmandu by private tourist vehicle.
- All your standard Meals (Breakfasts, Lunches, and Dinners) during the trek.
- Lodges, Guesthouses accommodation during the trek.
- Remarkable Adventure Treks’ local licensed holder English speaking guide.
- The required number of local staff and porters to carry your luggage during the trek.
- Food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment and medicine for all staffs.
- Upper Mustang Entry permit and TIMS permit for trekking.
- Down Jacket and sleeping bag by Remarkable Adventure Trek (which need to be returned after the trek).
- Surface transfer from and to Kathmandu.
- Free Remarkable Adventure Trek duffel/kit bag (yours to keep).
- Sightseeing/Monument entrance fees in Kathmandu on the second day.
- Farewell dinner in typical Nepali Restaurant with cultural show.
- All our government taxes, vat, tourist service charges and official expenses.
- Lunch and dinner whilst in Kathmandu.
- Travel insurance which covers emergency Rescue and Evacuation.
- International airfare and airport departure tax.
- Nepal entry visa; you can obtain a visa easily upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu. (Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 30 days can be obtained by paying the US $ 40 or equivalent foreign currency. Similarly, Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 90 days can be obtained by paying the US $ 100. Please bring 2 copies of passport size photos).
- Alcoholic, hot and cold drinks.
- Items of a personal nature (personal trekking gear, beverages,the internet, laundry, bottled water, etc).
- Tips for trekking staffs.
- Extra night accommodation (early arrival, late departures due to weathers, and any others reasons).
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on Price Includes section.
Date & Availability
Frequenty Asked Question's
Trip Equipment & Packaging List
For your trip preparations Remarkable Adventure Trek provides you with related information and advice required for your adventure holiday trip in and around Nepal Himalaya and beyond, providing you with following equipment list for the trekking. If it’s too much to carry from your home country some of the necessary equipment can be hired or bought in Kathmandu around at Thamel or in Pokhara as well. Most of the equipment is general and standard lists for all seasons while on the trek but may differ as per the season and duration of trekking and areas of your chosen trip.
- Sun hat or scarf.
- Light balaclava or warm fleece headgear.
- Sun Glasses and snow goggles with UV protection.
For Lower Body:
- Under Garments.
- Hiking shorts.
- Lightweight cotton long pants.
- Light and expedition weight thermal bottoms.
- Fleece or wool pants (seasonal).
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell pants.
- Thin, lightweight inner socks.
- Thick, warm wool hiking socks.
- Hiking boots with spare laces.
- Camp shoes (sneakers and/or sandals).
- Gaiters for hiking in winter to the base camp.
For Upper Body:
- Light and expedition weight thermal tops.
- Fleece jacket or pullover.
- Fleece Wind-Stopper jacket (optional).
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell jacket.
- Down vest and/or jacket.
- Lightweight gloves.
- Heavyweight gloves or mittens with a waterproof shell outer (seasonal).
- Sleeping bag rated to zero DC (4 seasons down sleeping bags).
- Headlamp (e.g. Petzl Zoom) with spare bulbs and batteries.
- Trekking Bags/Duffel bag.
- Basic First Aid Kit.
- Large plastic bags – for keeping items dry inside your kit/duffel bag.
- Daypack (approximately 2500 to 3000 cubic inches / 10-15 liters / kgs capacity).
- Trekking Poles (optional).
- Water bottle (2) or cameo bag.
- Toiletries (Small wash towel, Toilet papers etc).
- Ear Plug (who know some people on a group are snoring) as optional.
- 1 medium sized quick-drying towel.
- Toothbrush/paste (preferably biodegradable).
- Multipurpose soaps (preferably biodegradable).
- Nail clippers.
- Face and body moisturizer.
- Feminine hygiene products.
- Small mirror.
On Personal Hygiene:
- Wet wipes (baby wipes).
- Tissue /toilet roll.
- Anti-bacterial hands wash.
Extra Luxuries as optional:
- Reading book.
- Trail Map/Guidebook.
- Journal & Pen.
- Pen and small notebooks.
- Travel game i.e. chess, backgammon, and scrabble.
Remarkable Adventure Trek operates and runs all high altitude treks and climbs with the support of our expert and veteran guides who has been in these profession for more than two decades, all our guide have undergone with much training and attending workshop on related fields every year like Medical Course with enough knowledge of AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) and proper use of Gamma Bag or Portable Altitude Chamber (PAC) pressure bags when required on emergency purpose on high AMS symptoms and to work on minor medical problem treatments.
Causes of Altitude Mountain Sickness:
- Altitude mountain sickness is caused by reduced of air pressure with lower oxygen levels at high altitude.
- The faster you climb to a high elevation, more likely you will get altitude or acute mountain sickness (AMS).
- Difficulty in sleeps.
- Dizziness or light-headed.
- Loss of appetite.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Rapid pulse (heart rate).
- Shortness of breath with exertion.
- Altitude mountain sickness is easier to treat in the early stage.
- The main treatment for all forms of mountain sickness is to go down (descend) towards lower altitude as fast you can with support of our guide and staff.
- Extra oxygen should be given, if available.
- People with severe altitude mountain sickness should be admitted to a hospital or evacuated by any means of transportation the fastest is by Helicopter.
- Remarkable Adventure Trek suggests you Polyacrylamide (Diamox) because this medicine helps you to feel better if you are trekking in high altitude areas.
- It also helps you to reduce mild symptoms. This medicine works best when you take it before you start gaining much higher altitude. Beside our advice please consol with your doctor.
While climbing higher elevation:
- Drink plenty of fluids (water-plain black tea-lemon-tea or nutritional value drinks).
- Avoid alcohol
- Eat a lot of garlic’s (this is local way fighting altitude).
- You should avoid high altitudes if you have heart or lung disease.
Note: In case of emergency, you will be immediately airlifted by Helicopter to Kathmandu.
Nobody knows or cares about the safety of your group better than our trekking guides because they know how to cope with the unexpected situations that occasionally arise in the high altitudes of the Himalaya. In these situations, it is vital that trekkers are flexible and listen to the guides’ directions. The trip that you are on may be affected by weather, politics, or even wildlife. Whatever the factor may be, it is possible you may have some changes in your itinerary, as the seasoned guides of Remarkable Adventure Trek decide the safest option for you. If changes must be made to your trip, our guides will work hard to stick to your original itinerary as much as possible until the change becomes unavoidable. However, Remarkable Adventure Trek will not be responsible for an outcome, resulting from bad weather, wildlife, or political situation before, during, or post trip.
WHAT MAKES THIS TRIP DIFFERENT FROM OTHERS?
Trek Remarkable Adventure Trek works for social causes with some non-profit organizations of Nepal, concerned with environment conservation and preservation includes street children who need better education and good normal life. We help and support for the cause with some of our profits to certain organizations so that we can make street children with sound and better life when they grow up.
We believe that education and healthy children make more stable and better future of Nepal.
For donation, Sponsorship, and Volunteering, please contact to [email protected]
- Trekking on an old Salt Trade & Caravan Route of Nepal-India and Tibet.
- Views of high snow clad mountains on daily walks with dramatic landscapes scenery.
- Visiting Thakali and Mustang people villages of immense Buddhist culture and custom.
- Picturesque country a photographic paradise within wild Mustang landscapes.
- Walk in between Annapurna and Dhaulagiri Himalayan range with incredible views.
- An extension of windswept high and dry Tibetan plateau with views of snow capped peaks.
What To Expect
Related Trips updating soon !!.