Dhaulagiri Circuit Trek, a marvelous and fascinating adventure located North West Nepal Himalaya further west from Annapurna Himalaya, Dhaulagiri with its massive range of peaks stands at world’s 7th highest at 8,167 meters high where it touches its boundary towards Kaligandaki near Annapurna range and extends to Mustang and Dolpo areas. Dhaulagiri Circuit leads you from moderate walk in the beginning around warm low areas of paddy fields and terraces and gets adventurous as the walk climbs into high alpine hills covered with cool alpine forest of rhododendron, pines, oaks, spruce and firs trees as the walk following raging Magdi River right up to its glacial source at Dhaulagiri base camp.
Truly a marvelous and exciting adventure destination where you will be away from towns and villages for a week into complete wilderness of high snow capped peaks within the harmony of pristine natural surrounding with amazing views and crossing high passes after reaching Dhaulagiri base camp heading towards Hidden Valley and crossing high French with Thapa / Dhampus pass to reach at Kaligandaki River valley around Mustang area. Of all, Dhaulagiri Circuit Trek is a challenging trek around Nepal Himalaya where a scenic drive takes you to picturesque Pokhara a beautiful touristic spot blessed with mountains and lakes, and then heading towards the further west to our trekking point past Beni town and at Darbang a farm village by the raging Magdi River. Walk leads past number of farm villages and terraces to reach the high alpine hills and towards remorseless fields of moraine and glaciers around Italian Base Camp, offers spectacular view of Dhaulagiri II (7751m), Dhaulagiri III (7715 m) and Dhaulagiri V (7618 m) Midway Camp is another destination, where the trek leads on rough icy path to Dhaulagiri base camp surrounds you with super view of snow-capped peaks.
Classic Base Camp is a vantage point from where we will see the amazing view of the Dhaulagiri Ranges. On the other hand, the French Col (5100 m) which lies on our trekking route, offers the magnificent view of Mukut Himal (6328 m), Tashi Kang (6386 m) Sita Chuchura (6611 m)Tukche Peak (6920 m) and Dhaulagiri I. Finally our walk leads towards charming villages of Marpha-Tuckuche and Kalapani famous for delicious apples and then heading warmer areas at Tatopani ‘hot spring’ where you can relax in the hot spring and then climb up to Ghorepani and Poon Hill for stunning sunrise views over array of mountains and then concluding our wonderful and fabulous adventure Dhaulagiri Circuit Trekking back at scenic Pokhara.
Arrival in Kathmandu 1,300 m /4,264 ft and transfer to hotel.
On arrival at Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport, received by a representative of Remarkable Adventure Trek and then transfer you to your hotel around Thamel areas in the hub of the Kathmandu city. At the hotel, our guide and staff will provide information on dos and don’ts brief you with your programs on sightseeing and trekking.
In Kathmandu with a sightseeing tour and trek preparation.
After breakfast, leave the hotel for a sightseeing tour around famous historical places of Kathmandu guided by Remarkable Adventure Trek City guide. Morning visit of following places starting with Kathmandu Durbar Square a UNESCO World Heritage Site of Nepal, where most of the buildings that you see dated from 15th to 18th Century. The major Interesting things to see here are “Kumari (The Living Goddess) Gar” “Kastha Mandap” Maru Ganesh, Mahadev Temple, Shiva-Parvati Temple, Bhagwati Temple, Old Palace, Saraswati Temple, Krishna Octangular Temple, Big Drums, Kal Bhairav, Jagannath Temple, and Taleju Temple. Tour of Pashupatinath Temple, one of the main temples of the Hindu listed as world heritage site, situated on the bank of Bagmati River. Only Hindus are allowed inside the main temple premises, while others can view from the bank of Bagmati River, observe pilgrims and devotees worshipping and praying the temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, afternoon return back to a hotel for Dhaulagiri Circuit Trekking.
Drive to Pokhara 820 m - 06 hrs journey distance 220 k.m.
Morning travel by private coach or in tourist bus (depending on the size of the group) with an exciting overland drive on main Kathmandu to Pokhara highway, leading through Himalayan foothills, on reaching Pokhara transfer to respective hotels by the beautiful Phewa Lake with the afternoon free for short walks. (Options by Air 30 minutes scenic flight to Pokhara).
Drive to Darbang via Beni 900 m - 06 hrs.
From Pokhara, our journey continues on drive to Beni town and beyond to a farming town at Darbang after driving past Kusma and Beni town and following Magdi River all along to reach Darbang, a busy market village, and a starting point of Dhaulagiri- Churen Himal, Dhorpatan and Dolpo trekking. Darbang a small farm village slowly turning into a town, after the motor road has been completed from Beni and Pokhara, at Darbang for overnight stop by the Magdi River in a local simple lodge.
Trek to Riverside 1,560 m - 05 hrs.
The first day of this adventure starts walking past farm villages and then on a pleasant trail along Myagdi River, following the Myagdi River right to its glacier source at Dhaulagiri base camp. After a good walk reaching our first overnight camp by the river, afternoon at leisure with rest or enjoy the cool river.
Trek to Bagar 2,375m - 06 hrs.
Morning walk follows the river reaching a farm village of Jugepani for lunch stop, afternoon climb above a ridge and then descend through forest to camp at Bagar, a farm village, Bagar the last village till our walk joins at Marpha village.
Trek to Dovan 2,600m - 06 hours.
On leaving the last of farm fields at Bagar village walk into forest for an hour and then a climb into forested area of bamboo, oaks and rhododendron trees. After a tough climb then descends to reach at Dovan for overnight camp, Dovan a small temporary settlement with small teahouse and shops.
Trek to Chartare / Bhainsi Kharka 3,000m -05 hrs.
From Dovan morning walk leads to an unstable wooden bridge over a stream at a confluence of Magdi river, after crossing walking into the forest all the way to overnight stop at Chartare also called Bhainse Kharka.
Trek to Pakhaban (Japanese Camp) 3,750 m - 05 hrs.
After overnight in the middle of dense forest, today walk leads to complete wilderness on leaving the vegetation and tree lines for few days. Morning walk leads closer to Mt. Dhaulagiri South Face flank, with views of Putha Huinchuli, Manapathi and Dhaulagiri south flank, after good hours of walk reaching a glaciated area on a clearing named as Italian camp. From here adventure begins as the walk leads on the glacier, moraine with a climb over the rocky ridge to reach Pakhaban also called Japanese camp. From the camp offers super views of South West Face of Dhaulagiri and Manapathi, Puttha Hiunchuli with huge ice wall of Tsaurabong Peak.
Trek to Dhaulagiri Base Camp 4,750m - 06 hrs.
Morning walk follows moraine and iceberg in some section, this morning climb needs a good team work with guides, porters, and fellow members to be on right side of the trail over glaciated sections. After a tough walk over glacial section reaching a rocky open area around Dhaulagiri where base camp is located. Overnight camp at base camp the highlight of this adventure with closest view of world 7th highest Mt. Dhaulagiri I at 8,167 m, includes view of tumbling icefalls, glacier and Tukuche peak with West peaks of Dhaulagiri II (7,751 m.), Dhaulagiri III (7,715 m.) and Dhaulagiri IV (7,618 m.).
Trek to Hidden Valley 4,900m via French Pass 5,360m.
From this unique and wonderful campsite morning walk leads to the highest point of the adventure over French pass at 5,360 meters. After the high pass, a short descend to reach a wide grassy meadow a huge field at hidden valley for overnight camp. Offering views of Sita Chuchura, Mukut Himal, and Tashi Kang 5,386 meters, Tukche Peak and Dhaulagiri I.
At Hidden Valley for excursion and hike.
Today a rest and spare or contingency day in case of bad weather condition including physical conditions of members, staff, and porters.Here enjoy a scenic walk around unexplored areas of beautiful large Hidden valley and marvel the views of a Dhaulagiri range of mountains.
Trek to Yak Kharka 4,915m via Dhampus /Thapa pass 5,250 m - 05 hrs.
After a pleasant rest, morning starts on a gentle path for few hours to reach the last pass of this adventure at Thapa also calledDhampus pass with 5,250 meters high. On reaching the pass with grand rare views of Annapurna Himal, Nilgiris peaks, and then our walk descends to Yak Kharka for overnight camp and back into the green vegetation of Juniper, Burberry and rhododendron bushes.
Trek to Marpha 2,630 m - 04 hrs.
Morning walk with long descends back into villages, after being in the complete wilderness for past few days. Downhill walk into the forest of firs, pines and rhododendron trees, after few hours of easy, descend reaching at one of the charming villages at Marpha where all houses are painted white, this gem of a village with an interesting monastery. Marpha located in lower Mustang district around Kaligandaki river valley, this area famous for delicious apples and a product like cider, brandy local brew, juices, dry apples and apricot fruits. Enjoy the afternoon in the comfort of nice lodges and explore this beautiful village.
Trek to Lete 2,480m - 06 hrs.
From Marpha an enjoyable walk following Kaligandaki river downstream, reaching Tukuche village, beneath Tukuche peak and Dhaulagiri with Mt. Nilgiris, from here back into tree line of pines, oaks, and rhododendron, and then to a nice Kalapani village, after a short stop walk to another lovely village with grand views of Mt. Annapurna I, Nilgiris and Dhaulagiri, a short downhill brings at Lete village for overnight stop.
Trek to Tatopani 1,190m - 06 hrs.
From Lete onwards leads to a dramatic change in landscapes, walking between two high peaks of Dhaulagiri and Annapurna forming world deepest gorge. From Ghasa village, a southern end of Mustang area, dominated by Thakali people and then heading at Tatopani (Hot Spring) village with sub-tropic climate. Tatopani another nice village with large hot spring pools just by the bank of the River Kaligandaki.
Trek to Ghorepani 2,860 m - 06 hrs.
After a wonderful time at Tatopani, trek continues on the nice winding trail for an hour, our route diverts heading uphill with steep climb then with gradual up all the way through dense forest to reach at Chitre, from here an hour climb to Ghorepani village with fantastic views of Mt. Dhaulagiri and Annapurna South with Vara-Shikar known as Annapurna Fang. Ghorepani famous and popular for a hike to Pun Hill a viewpoint offering super wide angle views of world’s three highest peaks and range of other mountains with striking sunrise and sunset.
Hike to Poon Hill 3,210m and trek to Tirkhedhunga 1,430 m / 4,691 ft -05 hrs.
Morning an hour hike up to Pun-Hill at 3,210m, offers fantastic sunrise views over an array of mountains from Mt. Dhaulagiri, Mt. Manaslu to Annapurna and as far to Ganesh Himal in the far eastern horizon including the Mt. Machhapuchare “The Fish Tail”. From here walk through lovely rhododendron forest, and then with long descend from Ulleri village to Tirkhedhunga for last overnight stop in the hills of Annapurna Himalaya.
Trek to Birethanti 1,100 m and drive to Pokhara - 05 hrs.
After a pleasant overnight at Tirkhedhunga with views and sound of beautiful waterfalls, our last day of this great trip leads into warmer areas of rice fields and terraces overlooking magnificent views of massive Himalayan range of mountains, an hour walk downhill to Bhirethati village and at Nayapul on the road head of Baglung-Pokhara, after getting into a vehicle’s few hour drive brings you beautiful and scenic Pokhara after a great and wonderful time up in the high mountains.
From Pokhara drive to Kathmandu 1,345 m - 06hrs.
After a wonderful time up in the high mountains and hills, taking a morning driving journey back to Kathmandu, on reaching at Kathmandu after 5-6 hours of nice interesting drive and then transfer to your respective hotels with the afternoon free for individual activities and shopping souvenirs. (Options by air 30 minutes flight back to Kathmandu with great views)
In Kathmandu free day with an optional sightseeing tour.
Remarkable Adventure Trek reserves this day as contingency day in case of delay on trek due to bad weather and with the nature of trekking on Dhaulagiri Circuit, as Himalayan weather pattern can be unpredictable with unfavorable heavy cloudy days, if all goes well as per the itinerary you can enjoy as free day for individual activities and shopping souvenirs or book for another interesting sight-seeing tour around Kathmandu-Patan and Bhaktapur.
International departure for homeward bound.
Your last day in amazing Nepal country of Himalayan wonders, as per your flight time transfer for your international flight with a fond memory and excellent time on Dhaulagiri Circuit Trekking with great service of Remarkable Adventure.
Cost Information1. What's Includes
- Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & drop by private tourist vehicle.
- Sightseeing/Monument entrance fees in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
- Lodges, Guesthouses accommodation during the trek.
- All your standard Meals (Breakfasts, Lunches, and Dinners) during the trek.
- Tented accommodation and equipment during the trek.(We will provide fully waterproof two men tents, dining tents, kitchen gear, dining table, chairs, toilet tents, shower tent etc. and Climbing rope to cross the Passes.)
- Guided city tour in Kathmandu by private tourist vehicle.
- All your standard Meals Cooked by our expert camping cook and kitchen team during the trek (Breakfasts, Lunches, and Dinners).
- Standard twin sharing accommodation in a three-star hotel in Kathmandu; Breakfast included.
- Surface transfer from and to Kathmandu(Local bus transfer from KTM to Beni and Tourist Bus transfer from Pokhara to KTM).
- Flight cost from Jomsom to Pokhara including airport departure taxes in Jomsom airport.
- The required number of local staff and porters to carry your luggage and camping equipment during the trek.
- Remarkable Adventure Treks’ local licensed holder English speaking guide.
- The required number of local staff and porters to carry your luggage during the trek.
- Food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment and medicine for all staffs.
- Down Jacket and sleeping bag by Remarkable Adventure Trek (which need to be returned after the trek).
- Surface transfer from and to Kathmandu.
- Free Remarkable Adventure Trek duffel/kit bag (yours to keep).
- Sightseeing/Monument entrance fees in Kathmandu on the second day.
- Farewell dinner in typical Nepali Restaurant with cultural show.
- All our government taxes, vat, tourist service charges and official expense.
- Lunch and dinner whilst in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
- Travel insurance which covers emergency Rescue and Evacuation.
- International airfare and airport departure tax.
- Nepal entry visa; you can obtain a visa easily upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu. (Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 30 days can be obtained by paying US $ 40 or equivalent foreign currency. Similarly, Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 90 days can be obtained by paying US $ 100. Please bring 2 copies of passport size photos).
- Alcoholic, hot and cold drinks.
- Items of a personal nature (personal trekking gear, beverages, internet, laundry, bottled water, etc).
- Tips for trekking staff.
- Extra night accommodation (early arrival, late departures due to weathers, and any others reasons)
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on Price Includes section.
Date & Availability
Frequenty Asked Question's
Trip Equipment & Packaging List
For your trip preparations Remarkable Adventure Trek provides you with related information and advice required for your adventure holiday trip in and around Nepal Himalaya and beyond, providing you with following equipment list for the trekking. If it’s too much to carry from your home country some of the necessary equipment can be hired or bought in Kathmandu around Thamel or at Pokhara as well. Most of the equipment is general and standard lists for all seasons while on the trek but may differ as per the season and duration of trekking and areas of your chosen trip.
- Sun hat or scarf
- Light balaclava or warm fleece headgear.
- Sun Glasses and snow goggles with UV protection.
For Lower Body:
- Under Garments.
- Hiking shorts.
- Lightweight cotton long pants.
- Light and expedition weight thermal bottoms.
- Fleece or wool pants (seasonal).
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell pants.
- Thin, lightweight inner socks.
- Thick, warm wool hiking socks.
- Hiking boots with spare laces.
- Camp shoes (sneakers and/or sandals).
- Gaiters for hiking in winter to the base camp.
For Upper Body:
- Light and expedition weight thermal tops.
- Fleece jacket or pullover.
- Fleece Wind-Stopper jacket (optional).
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell jacket.
- Down vest and/or jacket.
- Lightweight gloves.
- Heavyweight gloves or mittens with a waterproof shell outer (seasonal).
- Sleeping bag rated to zero DC (4 seasons down sleeping bags).
- Headlamp (e.g. Petzl Zoom) with spare bulbs and batteries.
- Trekking Bags/Duffel bag
- Basic First Aid Kit.
- Large plastic bags – for keeping items dry inside your kit/duffel bag.
- Daypack (approximately 2500 to 3000 cubic inches / 10-15 liters / kgs capacity).
- Trekking Poles (optional).
- Water bottle (2) or cameo bag.
- Toiletries (Small wash towel, Toilet papers etc).
- Ear Plug (who know some people on the group are snoring) as optional.
- 1 medium sized quick-drying towel.
- Toothbrush/paste (preferably biodegradable).
- Multipurpose soaps (preferably biodegradable).
- Nail clippers.
- Face and body moisturizer.
- Feminine hygiene products.
- Small mirror.
On Personal Hygiene:
- Wet wipes (baby wipes).
- Tissue /toilet roll.
- Anti-bacterial hands wash.
Extra Luxuries as optional:
- Reading book.
- Trail Map/Guidebook.
- Journal & Pen.
- Pen and small notebooks.
- Travel game i.e. chess, backgammon, and scrabble.
Remarkable Adventure Trek operates and runs all high altitude treks and climbs with the support of our expert and veteran guides who has been in these profession for more than two decades, all our guide have undergone with much training and attending workshop on related fields every year like Medical Course with enough knowledge of AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) and proper use of Gamma Bag or Portable Altitude Chamber (PAC) pressure bags when required on emergency purpose on high AMS symptoms and to work on minor medical problem treatments.
Causes of Altitude Mountain Sickness:
- Altitude mountain sickness is caused by reduced air pressure with lower oxygen levels at high altitude.
- The faster you climb to a high elevation, more likely you will get altitude or acute mountain sickness (AMS).
- Difficulty in sleep.
- Dizziness or light-headed
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea or vomiting
- Rapid pulse (heart rate)
- Shortness of breath with exertion
- Altitude mountain sickness is easier to treat in the early stage.
- The main treatment for all forms of mountain sickness is to go down (descend) towards lower altitude as fast you can with the support of our guide and staff.
- Extra oxygen should be given, if available.
- People with severe altitude mountain sickness should be admitted to a hospital or evacuated by any means of transportation the fastest is by Helicopter.
- Remarkable Adventure Trek suggests you Acetazolamide (Diamox) because this medicine helps you to feel better if you are trekking in high altitude areas.
- It also helps you to reduce mild symptoms. This medicine works best when you take it before you start gaining much higher altitude. Besides our advice please console with your doctor.
While climbing higher elevation:
- Drink plenty of fluids (water-plain black tea-lemon-tea or nutritional value drinks)
- Avoid alcohol
- Eat a lot of garlic’s (this is local way fighting altitude)
- You should avoid high altitudes if you have heart or lung disease.
Note: In the case of emergency, you will be immediately airlifted by Helicopter to Kathmandu and transfer you to nearest and best hospitals.
Nobody knows or cares about the safety of your group better than our trekking guides because they know how to cope with the unexpected situations that occasionally arise in the high altitudes of the Himalaya. In these situations, it is vital that trekkers are flexible and listen to the guides’ directions. The trip that you are on may be affected by weather, politics, or even wildlife. Whatever the factor may be, it is possible you may have some changes in your itinerary, as the seasoned guides of Remarkable Adventure Trek decide the safest option for you. If changes must be made to your trip, our guides will work hard to stick to your original itinerary as much as possible until the change becomes unavoidable. However, Remarkable Adventure Trek will not be responsible for an outcome, resulting from bad weather, wildlife, or political situation before, during, or post trip.
WHAT MAKES THIS TRIP DIFFERENT FROM OTHERS?
Trek Remarkable Adventure Trek works for social causes with some non-profit organizations of Nepal, concerned with environment conservation and preservation includes street children who need better education and good normal life. We help and support for the cause with some of our profits to certain organizations so that we can make street children with sound and better life when they grow up.
We believe that education and healthy children make more stable and better future of Nepal.
For donation, Sponsorship, and Volunteering, please contact to [email protected]
- Dhaulagiri circuit trekking around world’s seventh highest mountain range.
- Views of high snow clad mountains on daily walks with dramatic landscapes scenery.
- Visiting Gurung-Magar and Thakali villages of immense Buddhist culture and custom.
- Enchanting lovely alpine woodland of tall rhododendron-magnolia-firs-pines and fir trees.
- Walking around both side of Dhaulagiri from North West to South East with incredible views. Following raging Mygdi River right up to its glacial source and crossing high French Pass.
What To Expect
Related Trips updating soon !!.